This blog is about education and pedagogy in the world today.
Is modern education turning upside down?
1) The modern state and public schools are under pressure from globalization effects as
increased immigration, more inequality and a shrinking state-economy. How to give the whole population good enough education?
2) Alternative education in the 90-ies were individual freedom-projects. To day montessori-schools and other private education
still is pedagogical renewing, but also privatization of schooling. Liberal, online and religious upper-middleclass and rich peoples escape from public schools.
3) Changing conflicts of ideas: Identity politics/populism, knowledge/competance.
ideology/facts and secularity/religion, also effect schools and education.
4) Education is digitalized. Global companies like Facebook, Google and others make cheaper online-schools without teachers.
The ideology is self (student)-directed pedagogy. But, why then goes the online-elite to teacher-based Waldorf (steiner)-schools?
Dr. in education from University of Oslo. Norway. Researched and teached for 35 years in sociology of education and research
methods at University of Oslo. Research topics:
- Youth and education
- Small schools in rural areas
- Home education (dr thesis)